Friday, October 24, 2008

Did I Mention I LOVE the 2nd Grade?

Guess what? With the help of a carefully worded thank you note and a few positive comments I manged to obtain permission to return to the 2nd grade! As you can probably guess I was beyond excited. Ever since my visit over two weeks ago I've been begging to go back, so this trip was an answered prayer. And it lived up to my expectations! JJ's sick little girl was better (of course, I mean it's been two weeks) so I got to meet her, and she was sweet as can be. The rest of the class was wonderful as well (though I think I was a little more amused by of some of their antics than JJ was). I was also honored by the fact that I was remembered. The kids remembered me (a few even remembered my name), and were glad to see me! That just about made my day. I received a few hugs, and again experienced the joy of conversation with little children. It was a great day.

If you've read my other post you could most likely guess the highlight of my day... spending time with "my little favorite". Since my visit two weeks ago I've been praying for JJ's whole class, but especially "my little favorite". Over the past couple weeks I've been corrected in my belief that "my little favorite's" parents really care about their child. I don't really know much about his father (and JJ doubts he does either) and his mother doesn't exactly sound like nicest person you would ever meet (trust me she isn't, but I'll get there). For the most part they don't seem to involve themselves in his education at all, most of the time he doesn't do his homework, they don't usually bring him to extra after school activities, he's the lowest in his class, he should be held back again and would be except for the fact that he has already been held back twice, and yet he is a sweet little child, who would have a lot of potential. It saddens me to see such an amazing little boy having to live the way he does. I'm sure (or at least I hope) that deep down his parents love him, but it makes me want to cry when I see the way they express it! "My little favorite" needs someone who cares enough about him to invest in his life, to help him reach for his educational potential, and to show him God's love. As much as I wish I could be, I know I'm not that person. But I have been praying for "my little favorite" daily. It is my hope that whoever that person is, they would find him soon.

Since it's moving quickly toward the end of October it was time for Fall Carnival at JJ's school! That means (much to my joy) I got to go back to JJ's school only one day after I had received the invitation to return. Two day in a row! I know the Fall Carnival didn't really count as another day since it is an extra activity at night, but still! So off I went to Fall Carnival, hoping to see one or two kids from JJ's class at least. I saw ten (out of fifteen I think that's pretty good). And shockingly "my little favorite" was one of them! When I saw him walk in with his mom I decided not to say anything and to wait and see if he would say something to me first. Imagine my joy when, upon spotting me, he grinned from ear to ear and started calling my name! Well of course I waved back and headed on over to him lickety-split! As soon as I reached him he turned to his mother, who was facing the opposite direction and started saying "Mom! Mom!" in an excited voice. I think he tugged on her shirt and called her a least six times before she turned around. The expression on her face was far from sweet when she met his excited look. But he continued, "Look Mom it's Bryce!". Pause for a minute and imagine my thoughts right about now. They went something like, "He is excited to see me, he remembers my name, and oh my goodness he has been telling his mom about me!". She didn't look exactly peachy when she nodded at me, but I didn't take it personally 'cause she hadn't look exactly peachy before either. All I cared about was seeing "my little favorite". And my main thought as I turned and walked away was not how mean of a mom he had (though that sad fact was stamped in my thoughts too), but instead how glad I was that "my little favorite" was actually at the Carnival... and that he had remembered me.

I will continue to keep JJ's little class in my thoughts, and most importantly my prayers. Through her I hope to receive updates on them. And hopefully I'll be able to weasel another okay from the principal and be able to visit my 2nd grade friends a few more times before the end of the school year!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Aww! I'm so glad he was there and remembered your name!! :)

Bryce said...

I was SO excited! Hopefully I'll be able to go back sometime... :)