Thursday, January 28, 2010

I'm not fifteen anymore Taylor Swift...

I'm sixteen now.

You'd think sixteen would be a big deal, wouldn't ya? Well, maybe it's just me, but when I was little sixteen was HUGE. Oh my goodness, sixteen was a serious big girl. Like, you were an ADULT, you knew it all, life had nothin' on you at sixteen.

Yeah right. I only wish life was as easy at sixteen as it was at six. (Childlike faith, Bryce. Childlike faith. Keep saying it like a mantra.) Honestly, I feel like I'm six. But not in the innocent maturity, childlike faith kinda way. More like in the stupid whinny little kindergartner who didn't get their favorite color construction paper and is going to throw a huge tantrum because they don't understand the real issues in todays world kinda way.

Yep, that's me. My favorite color is blue, and life is giving me green [eggs and ham]...

????????????

Never mind, I think you catch my drift.

I know life is hard for just about everyone in the world right now (and for most way harder than it is for me). Just let me get that out there. I don't expect you all to brush aside your schedules, and your busy lives to come coddle me (sure, who wouldn't love that if they were being honest with themselves, but that is not what I want from you AT ALL). All I want if for you to take 5 minutes. Scan what I've written. These are my thoughts, this is some of what I'm struggling with in my life right now. Or if you don't want to do that just say a quick 5 second prayer. Ask the Lord to help me understand what He wants from me in my life. Ask the Lord to help YOU understand what He wants from you. Or ask Him to help that person halfway around the globe who is crying out everyday, right now. You decide. Just don't sit and do nothing. You've read this far already. Consider this a challenge that you CAN complete without even getting up out of your chair.

Now back to those thoughts I mentioned.

About a week ago I had what could truly be called an encounter with God. I've never felt that close to Him in my life. Which is actually pretty sad to say. I feel like I've been in a dry place for much to long. And that I'm still here. And that I don't know how to get out. Last week when I felt Gods presence in a way I never have, surrounded by people I never want to forget on this earth, I was still confused... I still felt like I was stuck in the dry place, but I came closer than I have in a long long time to breaking free... and I was really convicted of the fact that I have not been living the kind of life I should be living. I realized HE wants something more from me than I've been giving Him. That was a really hard truth to grasp, and an even harder truth to do something about. Especially here, here in the desert. Please pray for me.

Have you ever heard this song?-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mqYL1Bf8cs

Go listen to it right not whether you have or not.

I've spent ten years trying to sing these doubts away
But the water keeps on falling from my eyes

This is what I feel like. What I don't understand is... how can the water keep falling so hard and so long when I'm stuck here, in a place so so dry?

I'm not sure why it always goes downhill
Why broken cisterns never could stay filled
I've spent ten years singing gravity away
But the water keeps on falling from the sky

And here tonight while the stars are blacking out
With every hope and dream I've ever had in doubt
I've spent ten years trying to sing these doubts away
But the water keeps on falling from my eyes

And heaven knows, heaven knows
I tried to find a cure for the pain
Oh my Lord, to suffer like You do
It would be a lie to run away

So blood is fire pulsing through our veins
We're either riders or fools behind the reigns
I've spent ten years trying to sing it all away
But the water keeps on falling from my tries

And heaven knows, heaven knows
I tried to find a cure for the pain
Oh my Lord, to suffer like You do
It would be a lie to run away
A lie to run, it would be a lie
It would be a lie to run away

It keeps on falling (x4)
Water keeps on falling from my eyes

And heaven knows, heaven knows
I tried to find a cure for the pain
Oh my Lord, to suffer like You do
It would be a lie to run away
It would be a lie to run away
It would be a lie to run away

If only it were easier to remember the harder truths found in these words. If only. If only. Where do I go from here?

I have so many thoughts tumbling through my head. I feel like even trying to write some of them down is going to be like hopping and skipping all over the place. Welcome to my mind.

Have any of you ever read The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis? I hadn't until very recently... WOW. So much to think about. Let me start by saying I loved it. A whole lot. I'm going to be reading it again, slower, over the next couple weeks. Extremely powerful book that is worth a little more time on my part.

Just reading it through once made me think, it brought to mind so many things.

One of the scenes in the book reminded me of a conversation I happened to be part of recently, all about love and our struggles with it. I don't understand love. That bothers me. What I do know of love is that most people love out of the selfish desire to be loved back... or because they need the person whom they are loving. Not for the persons sake. Not for the sake of love itself. Not for Gods sake. For theirs. I know I do a lot of the time. Not only do I not understand love... but I put into practice that which I do not understand, therefore practicing it wrongly. I wrote a speech recently on the importance of love and how it could revive society if we put it into practice... but I think that first we must understand before we can begin to practice. I don't know... I'm honestly struggling with this. Can we ever understand in this life?

I feel like I'm surrounded by apathy... I feel like I'm part of the apathy sometimes. I feel like there is a fog pulled over my eyes. How can I awaken those around me when I feel half asleep myself? Sometimes I don't understand... most of the time I don't understand.

There is so much I want to do. Revive my community. Reach out to the hurting. I want to act on the passions that are closest to my heart. Mainly the pro-life movement. I want to work for LIFE and against the death that abortion brings to the innocents. But I don't know where to begin. And I don't understand, how can I begin to save lives when I feel dead?

I'm not trying to be depressing. I'm not trying to be melodramatic. I know we all have down days. I know we shouldn't let our emotions control what we do. But aren't we suppose to be joyful sometimes? Aren't we suppose to know what God wants for us... at least some of the time? Shouldn't we understand, at least a little?



(Just my thoughts here people. I would feel weird posting them on this blog... but I post so rarely I know people rarely read this. If you do happen by, prayers would be highly appreciated.)

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Bryce... Twin4God... I forget my other nicknames for you...

You inspire me O.o Honestly. You're mature beyond your years. I've always noticed that about you, even though we've never met...

You remind me of me... your thoughts coincide with my thoughts... I have a similar brain that seems like it's always tumbling around in a dryer... and whenever I try to find two thoughts that go together, that match, that make sense! I just get unmatching socks... =P

I will be praying for you. Hang in there, girl *hugs* We both may ponder too much for our own good, but God hears us.

MangyCat said...

Heavenly Father, thank You for showing Your light to this wonderful young lady. Lord, I pray that You would shine so brightly that she will experience no darkness today. Lord, I ask that You would show her that it's OK to cry out to you and weep and wail and ask for help. Lord, use the Holy Spirit to bring her before You as the broken jar that she is.

Lord, I pray that You would mend her hurt and pain. Wipe away her apathy. Fill her with hope and the love that You are so easily able to give. Help her to know that love in her heart, if not in her mind.

Help her understand that not all things are understandable and that that's OK. Lord, give her a calm and peace that goes beyond understanding.

Show her something brilliant today. Show her when she's alone. Show her when she's with Your children. Lord, embrace her with Your care.

I pray that You would help this lovely young lady learn to accept the life You've given her. I ask that You would give her a glimmer of hope for what You might have planned for what she surely believes is an insignificant life.

Lord, I pray that You would help her grow closer to You in a way she never has before. Help her see that her own cup must be filled before she can pour out for others--noble as those causes may be.

I thank You that You allow us to come to You with our crying and whining and little sorrows. I pray that You would hear this daughter of Yours and respond right now. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer R said...

I totally understand what you mean about wanting to be a child! I just turned 18 and it seems as if real life just hit like a ton of bricks! Enjoy driving! Being a legal adult will come soon enough!

Sarah said...

This is what I call a REAL blog post... the kind that lays all your questions and the very vulnerable part of your soul right out there in the open. Thank you so much for sharing your heart this way. Surely someday God will bless you with answers and understanding in the same manner... right out there in the open so that everyone in your life will see His glory.

It makes me feel so blessed to find other young people (though at 25, I'm climbing up into the old people group, lol) who are also searching God's will, desiring His love to be worked out in their lives.

I know that you wrote this four months ago but wanted to let you know that I am praying. Hope you keep asking God questions, because YES, He does want us to understand and He will answer. :-)

(Ephesians 5:17, 1 Corinthians 14:20, 2 Timothy 2:7)

Violinist4Christ said...

You're not the only one who's felt dry lately... Up until a few weeks ago I felt like I was in a long dry season, not really feeling close to God, but still having devotions every day, going to church, living life, etc. Then I had a close encounter with God. I can't say everything changed then and that every day since I've felt His presence just as strong - because it hasn't. But I've been realizing that there are some areas in my life that aren't surrendered to God. So I've been letting Him in and trying to hear Him and following His voice. It's so hard sometimes, and I sometimes fail. But God is so amazingly patient. And I get back up again.

By the way, I've awarded you on my blog - see it for details. I know I haven't been reading all your posts but I haven't had time to look at any blogs recently. But I did use to read your blog regularly, even if I didn't post.

God bless!
-V4C

Anonymous said...

true...so true.............
+Flamingo Pink+

http://songs2myheart.blogspot.com