You see my aunt (JJ, you remember her right?) is a 2nd grade teacher at the elementary school her son (my 7 year old cousin) attends. Now most of you know my belief when it comes to school. God gave children to their parents to train them up in the way they should go. He didn't give them to the school teachers, and He most certainly didn't give them to the government, which is exactly what parents are doing when they send their children to school. And even if I did believe school was alright I would never place any child in the public school system we have today. But all that is besides my point, so to avoid further elements of controversy in this post I shall move on.
So anyway, JJ is a teacher. Yesterday she got permission to take me to school with her. Now this was not my first time visiting a public school, and it wasn't my first time visiting her classroom for the day. But it was my first visit in a long while. So all of her little students were new to me. We had to get up early (another downfall to public school, right?) and drive about 15 or more minutes in the dark before arriving. When we did we made our way to JJ's classroom, and her and her teaching assistant started getting things ready for the day. Like I've said, this wasn't my first time visiting, but this was the first time when I could really help. Over the past few days since I'd been in NC I'd been helping my little cousin learn his spelling words, listening to him read his stories, giving little hints when it comes to math problems, and I loved it! Now I finally had a chance to try my hand at teaching on a much larger scale. It was exciting. Another up side to being in an elementary school, kids everywhere! A great reminder of home, our house always seems to be full of energetic children running all over the place. When the first bell rang my cousin scurried off to his class across the hall and I took a seat at the desk in the corner, waiting for the first kids to arrive.
Every one of my aunts children were in attendance, excepting one sick little girl. And all of them were unique in their personalities, behavior, academic abilities, and physical features. Some excelled in one area more than another, some were tall, others short, and some had a larger amount of self-control, while others were...um...lacking. Personally, I saw great potential in them all.
From the moment he walked in one little boy particularly attracted my attention. I'm not sure what it was about him that did so, he didn't look any different than the other children, he wasn't short though some of the others were quite a bit taller, nor was he very tall though not the shortest either. He was a cute little fellow. I noticed he had a little gap in his front teeth, though he didn't show his smile very often, and his shaggy brown hair looked like it could use a good combing, but over all, those features just added to his demeanor. The first words I heard spoken to him that morning were, "Go change your color." Apparently someone had forgotten to do their homework. He didn't seem to have any more trouble with his work than some of the other children that day. I had a wonderful time helping as many as I could. From a boy with ants in his pants, who could hardly see his hand in front of his face, but refused to wear glasses claiming they, "didn't help". To a sweet little child who had to be one of the most well behaved in the whole 2nd grade.
Later after lunch I struck up a conversation with a few of the boys as they patiently waited for some other children to finish up in the bathroom. "My little favorite" was one of them. Any of you who have young siblings, cousins, or friends know just what a joy it is to have a conversation with a child. Their faces light up at the littlest things, and what comes out of their mouths sometimes... it is unbelievable entertaining. More than one genuine smile could be observed on the faces of every child (and adult) who happened to be within hearing range of our chat.
The whole school day passed amazingly fast. The last worksheet of the day was a toughie for the kids. JJ asked me to go over and help "my little favorite", telling me he really needed the help because he was the lowest in the class. That was unexpected news, but of course I didn't mind helping him. So I scooted a chair up and proceeded to help both him, and the boy on my other side. With a little help he finished the sheet and no time, and I left him to go and help another kid across the room.
Sadly my day at school came to an end. With a smile for the whole class I told the kids how great it was to have met them, and how I hoped to be back again. To my great joy, they seemed upset that I wasn't coming the next day, asking me is I was going back to Florida already!
That night I was asking my aunt some questions about her class, and I was informed of some more surprising news. "My little favorite" was not only the lowest in the class, he was also almost ten years old and repeating the 2nd grade after having repeated the 1st grade as well. Needless to say I was completely shocked! My first thought was whether his parents cared about him at all! But he had talked of his parents fondly, and what I had heard earlier while at the school hadn't given me any reason to think his parents could care less. So what then? That is a question I've yet to figure out.
But this whole subject did get me to start thinking. Wow, I really care about kids in public school. It's not that I've ever been hostile to them or anything, but I've really never been all that charitable either. Pitied them? Yes. Loved them? Um... I didn't always show it. Sure I have friends in school, friends that I really love! But I haven't always had the best feelings toward your average public school student. Good News Club was the one "serving project" I seriously wished my mom would quiet participating in when I was a child. Sure it's not the kids fault that their parents put them in school, and yes I know that plenty of great kids come out of the public school system (I have some great parents, and friends too), but overall I've always been sick and tired of the attitude average school students posses. God says love everyone, you say? Why yes, yes he does. And over the last year or so I've started to have a serious change of heart, and my day at a public school just convicted me even more.
My whole experience has really given me a yearning to help children like "my little favorite", and all of the other kids there as well. My day spent with a 2nd grade class has prompted me to seriously consider a career (at least until I have children of my own to school) as a teacher. Or at the very least to start tutoring, obviously some children really need it. The public school is a major mission field. And maybe, just maybe God is calling me to serve Him, in the public schools.
**UPDATE** So just a quick update. Less than one week to vote! And to enter the contest! Please tell your friends! Thanks so much. :) Love you guys. **END UPDATE**
And just 'cause I hate pictureless posts I'll leave you with one of my favorites, I great reminder of my home and family...

We are so full of ourselves... :D
BRYCE

4 comments:
Wow, what an insightful post, Twin! [several minutes & a copy/paste/delete later] Whew! This turned into a long comment.
I went ahead and posted it on my own blog because my comment got so stinkin' long. You can see it HERE.
I read your comment. Thank you so much for taking the time to read that WHOLE post... I've posted another post as a reply to your post/comment. :D
Not full of yourself ;)
I love that picture--and the post :D
It was great!
Thanks Bookie! *hugs*
Post a Comment