Thursday, January 8, 2009

Love at First Sight: Part Three

Some of you have been asking, and since I don't have time to write a long post right now I've decided to grant your request... Here's the final part to Love at First Sight, the rewrite I wrote last year of The Princess and the Pea.

If you would like to read the other two parts...
Part One: http://atwinforgod.blogspot.com/2008/07/love-at-first-sight-part-one.html
Part Two: http://atwinforgod.blogspot.com/2008/12/love-at-first-sight-part-two.html

_____________________________________

Love at First Sight: Part Three

A knocking at the door awoke Natalie from a deep sleep. Lifting her drained body from the feathery mattress was torture but the act was at last managed. Blond waves tumbling about her head in disarray Natalie called. “Come in.”
With a creak of the hinges the door opened to reveal a tall youth, his curly brown hair looking a bit tousled, and his chocolate eyes -just how she remembered them- holding a look of determination.
“How are you feeling?” He asked his voice full of the same tenderness she remember from the woods.
“I've been better I must admit, but you have all been most kind to me and I thank you.” Smiling Natalie continued. “Come tomorrow I will take my leave, I don't wish to tread on your hospitality longer than necessary. Thank you again for the kindness you have shown me.” As she stopped Natalie noticed the young man looked stunned.
“But you can't go!” He exclaimed. A confused look flashed across Natalie's face and the boy quickly corrected himself. “I mean, no need to worry about treading on our hospitality. You are most welcome here at Porter house.” As he moved into what seemed to her a prepared speech the young man began to inch closer and closer to her bed, it looked to her like he was trying to so nonchalantly- it wasn't working. “So please don't worry yourself, if circumstances provide that you need to stay longer, do so by all means. Our home is yours.” The youth's face looked almost anxious as he talked on and on about irrelevant topics that did nothing but confuse her further. After lots of monologue and taking of tiny mouse steps the young man was with in arms reach of the mattress.
Then his voice stopped and he seemed to have a moment of deep meditation. All of a sudden with a scream and a wild gesture he bellowed. “Look at that!”
Spinning around in fright Natalie gazed behind her in the direction he had been pointing. Nothing. Quick as lightning she turned back around. What is wrong with this man?
Standing even closer to her bed than he had been before the youth now had a sheepish look on his face. “I'm so sorry for my outburst I thought I saw something near that wall over there.”
“You thought you saw something?”
“Yes.”
“What is this thing you thought you spotted?”
“A cat.”
“What?”
“It looked to me like a crazy kitty.” Natalie stared at him, aghast. Has this guy lost his marbles?
“Probably just the kitchen tabby. Well I must be on my way. I hope you sleep well.” With those words he was gone. Giving a baffled sigh Natalie walked slowly back toward the bed.
“His visit was pretty close to pointless. I wonder what his intent was?” Just as she was about to climb back onto the soft mattress for a much needed rest there was another rap at the door. Since she had no choice in the matter Natalie cried. “Come in.” Creaking yet again the door opened only a crack before stopping. A head of brown curls poked into her room once more and a bashful voice asked.
“What is your name?”
“Um, I'm Natalie.” She hesitantly answered.
"Good night than Natalie.” And he was gone.
“What a odd young man.” She murmured sinking down upon the silken sheets. Only the feeling wasn't as pleasant as she had remembered it. Turning she tried another area of the humongous bed. Worse! Natalie tried different positions and different places, nothing worked. Her night was one of sleepless agony.


It was a wait full of anguish. Sunshine filtered into the somber breakfast room defying Charles's fearful mood. Sitting beside him his mother seemed the very picture of calm and collected.
“Mother how can you sit there like that?”
“Like what?”
“Just the way you are. So unconcerned when my future happiness is on such shaky ground!”
“You see dear Charles, though your happiness is uncertain mine is already assured.”
“What?”
“You see, even if this girl is not rich I am positive a girl with financial backing can be found for you sooner or later.”
“Mother, how can you be so cruel, so heartless?”
“It is in my nature Charles dear.” Bitter words of rage and sorrow were about to fly from his mouth at the women before him but just than the door to the dining room burst open and a girl with wild hair and a haggard look stormed in.
“I don't understand your motives but I can assure you this will not stand!” Turning from his hateful mother Charles faced Natalie with a look of distress.
“Whatever is the matter?”
“You should know! I'm sure that it is all your doing. Waltzing into my room last night,
disturbing me from a wonderful slumber, scaring my out of my wits, just to tamper with my bed! It is despicable. When me father hears about this you'll pay!” As the girl began to shake her fist in his face Charles fell back in his chair, he felt dazed and betrayed.
“Who is your father?” Charles didn't look up at the sound of his mother's voice but Natalie did.
“Andrew Carter.” She stated in a smug manner. His mother didn't even flinch.
“So you're Andrew's spoiled brat? He told my he had one. Natalie's your name isn't it girl?”
“How do you know my father?”
“We were chums as children. Haven't kept in very close contact but still word gets around about important things like children.” She said it with a sneer. Natalie didn't retort, didn't utter a sound, but a low moan came from Charles's contorted body. “I'm so sorry Natalie. So so sorry. I didn't want to do it, she made me.” With these words he lifted a shaking finger to point at the offender. “Love at first sight, that's what is was. Can you ever forgive me?”
“What are you saying?”
“The pea! I am so sorry about the pea. It was the cause of your restless sleep. Please forgive me!”
“You mean to tell me you two conspired to place a tiny green pea under my mattress?” Sarcasm laced her voice.
“Yes.” They answered in unison.
“But why?”
“Because I wanted to marry you.”
“And I wouldn't allow it unless you had fortune to your name! Now that my ingenious idea to use an element from a fairytale has worked my son is free to marry you.”
“Oh mother thank you!” Charles had seemingly forgotten his anger as joy coursed through him.
“Wait one minute.” Both the mother and the son turned at the sound of a highly offended voice. “Maybe I don't want to marry him.” Turning to Charles she continued. “You are a nice guy and I have to say your chocolate eyes made me feel all fluttery at first. It pains me to break this to you pal but the truth is, I'm not in love with you. There is someone out there for you, I'm sure of it, but it's not me.”
"How dare you refuse my son!” Mrs. Porter jumped to her feet. Charles said nothing only stared in remorse as the last words he ever heard from the mouth of his first love poured forth.
“I took the liberty of using your phone to make a call to my father. My ride should be here momentarily. Farewell to you, my hope for you both is that you find everything you are looking for.” With that she left.


Never again was Natalie Carter seen by any who carry the Porter name. Her words, though heartbreaking they may have seemed, turned out to be the one thing that helped Charles do what he must. Love at first sight is a concept laughed upon by many but to this day Charles believes it with his whole heart, and so does Natalie. Problems easily arise when this idea is applied, so most avoid it. The reason for these difficulty's is answered in one question. What is love? Love is used to describe feelings that have other names and other meanings, that is where we find our problem. Both Mr. Porter and Miss. Carter had to discover the true meaning of the word before they could justly judge their own emotions.

Our ending though is a happy one. Charles fell in love (really this time) with a poor beauty and married her. His mother disproved (of course) but by than she was to old to do anything about it. Natalie managed to change her fathers mind and thus avoided a much dreaded wedding. It was not until she met a rich young foreigner that she found the true meaning of this much debated word. And with true love they both lived happily ever after.

2 comments:

Bekah said...

Bryce,
A bit of an abrupt ending! I beg of you to flush this story out furthur - it could be great!
Perhaps have Charles and Natalia meet again, see each other with both seperate families, laugh at their meeting?
Perhaps have one kid from each of their families get involved in another rewrite of an old fairy tale?
Sorry - just throwing ideas out there. You need to keep writing, Bryce, and contact me when you get your first book published!
Thanks for posting this story - boy did I enjoy it!
--Bekah

Bryce said...

Thanks so much for all of your wonderful comments! I actually started a sequel to this story using another fairytale, but it got pushed to the back of my priorities list and I haven't even glanced at it for months... I really should though...