Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Favorite Bible Verse

Well this post might seem just teensy little bit repetitive to those of you who have been reading my blog for a while. But I've decided to post this anyway, I don't think a reminder is going to kill anyone. :)

I was writing a speech on "My Favorite Bible Verse" the other day (how kindergarten-ish right?) and I decided to revisit some of my older blog posts, one post in particular (I'm sure you know the one I'm talking about, that "Bring the Rain" post that I reference all the time). What I wrote back in May of last year about having faith even in the midst of struggle really had me thinking while writing my speech. So, I've decided to share it with all of you. I don't know how many of you are going through hard times right now, but I hope that even in the midst of your struggle you'll remember to have faith in our awesome God and Father.

My Favorite Bible Verse

As I think about the topic of “my favorite bible verse” I’m faced with a slight dilemma, the word favorite. I am I person who, for the most part, has as serious phobia when it comes to this word. “Favorite questions” are something I avoid like the plague, because if there is one thing I have always hated with a passion, ever since I was a small child, it is this: making a decision.

So, as you can understand, I don’t have a favorite bible verse (I also lack a favorite food, favorite color, favorite number, favorite singer, favorite book, favorite outfit, favorite belonging, and so on and so forth, but that is beside the point). I was determined though to do my very best to think of something, so I thought long and hard before coming to a conclusion. Ever since I first read it I have always loved Hebrews 11, somehow that passage has always seemed so moving to me, so if I absolutely had to pick a favorite bible passage I would most likely go with that chapter.

Most people know the starting verse, Hebrews 11:1: “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” So basically this is saying faith is being sure of what we hope for and assured of what we can not see. So faith is believing without seeing. Sounds simple, but this one concept is exceedingly complex. And for those of us who truly believe it, it is one of the hardest things put into practice. Another thing to think about is this, in what or Who are we placing our faith?

Many people have faith. Evolutionists have faith in their beliefs and ideas, even Atheists have some measure of faith in themselves, but we as Christians have faith in an all-knowing, all-seeing God, our Father in heaven and on earth. We believe without seeing. But we all have doubts at some time or another, we all find it hard to continue believing when we struggle through valley after valley, and the crest of that next hill seems to be forever out of sight.
Especially in this day and age, music is a very powerful thing. Lyrics can be life changing. I believe music artists have an unbelievable responsibility, they can sway the mindset of millions. When thinking about faith, about Hebrews 11, I always think of a song by Mercy Me entitled, “Bring the Rain”. The following lines are especially powerful.

"Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain"


I don’t know about you, but even just the spoken words make me pause. This song is all about faith. Faith in a God who is greater than any of our circumstances, no matter how big or how small. Faith is being able to say, “Jesus, bring the rain” and really truly meaning it. I’m not sure how many people in this world today could boast that kind of faith.

But that kind of faith is not unheard of. Today some people do posses it, people who believe so strongly in what they can not see that they can continue praising God even in the midst of a storm.
Most people have heard of the Chapman family. Steven Curtis Chapman, the Christian Contemporary singer, whose four year old daughter was killed in a tragic accident by her own brother. But even in the midst of this hardship the Chapmans continued praising their God and Father the Lord Jesus Christ. They are just one example out of many who have faith that can move mountains.

Hebrews 11 also talks about other such people, people of extraordinary faith, “men of whom the world was not worthy” as is says in Hebrews 11:38a. People, “who by faith conquered kingdoms, performed acts of righteousness, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, from weakness were made strong, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight.” Hebrews 11:33 & 34

Faith is an exceedingly powerful thing. Faith, believing in what we can not see, believing even when it’s hard, even when we don’t think we can anymore, even when we just don’t think we care anymore. Faith.

“And others experienced mockings and scourgings, yes, also chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were tempted, they were put to death with the sword; they went about in sheepskins, in goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, ill-treated… wandering in deserts and mountains and caves and holes in the ground… And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised, because God had provided something better for us…” Hebrews 11:36-37, 38b-40a

"How often do we learn patience through times of suffering? God makes no mistakes, yet His purposes are often too deep for afflicted men to comprehend. We must learn to trust Him explicitly, as One who does all things well. No circumstances are so dark that God's presence cannot make them light, and even in the most adverse circumstances, God can fill our hearts with overflowing joy." Mrs. T.M. Constance

As it says in Hebrews 11, faith believes without seeing. Others of extraordinary faith have gone before us. Others continue on in this day and age. They can carry on through the many storms of life because they have faith. Faith in our God and Father, the Lord Jesus Christ. They can really truly say, “Jesus, bring the rain.”

No comments: