Thursday, February 26, 2009

Update: A Blogger Scavenger Hunt


It's about time I got around to posting an update...

Well, I don't know about the rest of you (actually I do know about some of you, and that's one of the many reasons for this post, but that's beside the point) but I'm just slightly disappointed in how this contest is turning out so far... and it hasn't even started yet! But I'm not going to let myself be discouraged. There are a few of you who are just as hyped about this Blogger Scavenger Hunt as I was when I first came up with the idea, so we're going to keep on truckin' with it (and I promise my next contest will be tons easier, actually, I'm going to go ahead and promise you guys a giveaway next time, something simple so you don't have to do anything at all, oh and to make it even better, everyone who participates in the Blogger Scavenger Hunt will get an extra chance in the giveaway, how's that?).

Originally we were going for at least 15 participants before starting.

Then in desperation we lowered it to at least 10 participants.

So far, we have 6.

Take a look at those numbers. Catching my "slightly disappointed" drift? It would really bum me to have to lower the number for the second time, but one has to do what she has to do. So, if I don't have at least 10 participants by March 1st I'm going to lower the number of participants needed before we start... again.

Here's the official list of participants so far.

* Girl of Many Colors
* Paris
* Bookworm4God
* God's Soldier
* FrizzyDragon49
* ChristsButterfly

If you thought you had signed up and your name is not on the above list please leave a comment on this post or e-mail me (twinforgod@comcast.net). If you would like to sign up (sign ups are open now and will stay open even after the scavenger hunt begins, and will not close until a few days before it ends) please leave a comment on this post and/or on my original post.

Oh yeah, before moving on a want to make one comment. All of the participants we have so far are teens. Which is all well and good in my book, but come on all the adults out there who read this blog. I was really hoping to hear something from you guys too. Just wanted to say that...

Now, I also told you guys that whoever advertised for this Blogger Scavenger Hunt on their blog (by posting about it and/or putting the button on their sidebar) would be entered into a drawing to win a free book. Here is the list so far of those of you who have.

* Paris- Posted on her blog
* Bookworm4God- Posted on her blog and posted the button on her sidebar
* HorseLuver- Posted the button on her sidebar
* Lauren Ann- Posted on her blog

I think there were more of you who either posted and/or put the button on your sidebar. If you did and you are not on the above list please comment here and/or return to this post and leave a comment there. You still have time to advertise! Go ahead and post on your blog and/or put the button on your sidebar, then leave me a comment to let me know what you did. Return to this post for more information.

When I first posted about the Blogger Scavenger Hunt, I told you all the contest would end on March 15th and that your last chance to sign up would be on March 12th. But that was before I knew how difficult it would be to get participants. So don't start stressin' about the time limit, I'm not going to set a deadline for completion until after the contest starts, and after I see how hard/easy it is for you guys to get this done.

Now I want to go ahead and refresh your memories on some of the must have/must dos/and general facts for this scavenger hunt.

1. You must have a blog. I'm sorry for those of you who don't, but there is just no getting around this one. A blog is a requirement for this contest.

2. Originally I told you that you had to complete all 10 of the things on the list of "activities". But I've changed my mind. Now the requirement is 5 things (though, the more you do the more points you're likely to receive).

3. Once you've completed all of the things on the list, or run out of time to do anymore, you compile all of your "evidence" and post it on your blog. Now, this is where a very important part of this contest comes in creativity. Trust me, that's a huge thing, I'll award a lot of points for that right there.

4. The person who receives the most points wins. Simple as that. And don't worry, I'll go over every little thing the winner did to earn their points, I'll outline it all for you, just to be fair.

5. Now, I don't want any of you guys to rush through this, since creativity is the thing that I'm looking for the most here... but the first, second, and third persons to finish everything on the list (which is not a requirement, remember) will get an extra 15, 10, or 5 points (depending on which one they are and on the quality of their post).

6. In general the way to earn points is this, for every item on the list that you complete to my satisfaction you will receive at least 5 points. But those who go above and beyond, or are super de duper creative, have the chance of earning even more per completed item.

7. As for prizes. The 1st place winner will receive 5 items of their choice from the prize pool and will get first prize pick, the person in 2nd place will receive 3 items of their choice and will get second prize pick, the 3rd place winner will receive 1 item.

I think I covered the basics there. If you have any questions about anything just ask. Send me an e-mail message (twinforgod@comcast.net) or leave me a comment. Either way I'll get back to you. Also, if you haven't read it already check out this post for more information.

Alright, I'm going to post the list of "activities" for the scavenger hunt below.


1) A picture of a child/person/pet doing something that you didn’t expect them to do or that they weren’t supposed to be doing- something random that you DID NOT plan or stage. Something messy, crazy, wacky, and possibly even dangerous. A picture of one of those moments that you freak out about initially, but that you laugh about later. (Tip for completion: Carry a camera at ALL times, no matter WHAT.)

2) The story behind picture # 1. (Tip for completion: Write it down AS SOON as it happens, make sure you record all of the hilarious and insane details, edit later.)

3) A book of some kind that is OVER 600 pages long. More literally a PICTURE or VIDEO that YOU took of a book this long. (Tip for completion: Scour your bookshelves, the library, the bookstore. In all honesty, 600 pages may sound like a massive book but it really isn’t, it’s relatively easy to find something like this. If you want your evidence to be more believable POSE in the picture with the book, it might help with your points.)

4) A brief synopsis of the above 600 word or more book. (Tip for completion: Yes this means you must either READ the WHOLE book or at least familiarize yourself with it in some way. Post a picture of yourself READING the book, or writing/typing with the book at hand for EXTRA points.)

5) The link to a specific post on a blog where your name/blog is mentioned. THIS BLOG CAN NOT BE YOUR OWN. (Tip for completion: Dig up achieves in your friends blogs from years ago where you were mentioned, or beg your friends to post about you, tell them about this contest while you’re at it!)

6) The highest stack of… something. Well, this one is EXTREMELY general. All you have to do is make a stack of SOMETHING (that’s right anything you want) as high as you can (because you want yours to be higher than ANY OTHER CONTESTANTS). Video and/or picture proof is necessary. The more proof you have, the easy it’ll be to judge who wins the contest of height. (Tip for completion: Stack it high! You never know what someone else could be doing… Also, take a video AND a few pictures. The more evidence the better!)

7) A picture of any ITEM that has been mentioned in this blog AT LEAST twice. You must post a picture that YOU TOOK of the item, preferably with YOU IN IT. You must also post links to the posts on this blog that the item was mentioned in. (Tip for completion: Come on guys ANY item. That’s not hard AT ALL. Just make sure you post clear EVIDENCE. The easier it is for me to prove your story, the more points you are likely to receive.)

8) A picture of yourself that mimics a picture that I have posted of myself on this blog. YOU can post a PICTURE that MIMICS ANY picture of ME that I have posted ANYWHERE on THIS BLOG. (Tip for completion: Be creative! I’ve posted lots of pictures.)

9) Post the links to THREE other blogs that you read and enjoy. Tell us a little bit about them and WHY you enjoy them. (Tip for completion: Choose blogs that you think are worthy reads. YOU CAN NOT USE MY BLOG AS ONE OF YOUR THREE.)

10) Compare me and you with the following questions. You must find all the answers to the questions about me by yourself, somewhere on my blog. When you post fill out the answers for ME and YOU. (Tip for completion: You are not REQUIRED to fill out the answers for yourself, only for ME. You just receive extra points for COMPARING us.)
· Name?
· Age?
· Number of siblings?
· Any pets?
· What state do I live in?
· What are a few of my passions in life?
· What is ONE fun fact about me? (one fact is required, any extra facts that you list will count toward more points.)


Like before, if you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

Okay, I really think I've covered everything that's come up over the past couple weeks about this contest. If I haven't please let me know what else needs to be said! Thanks. :)

I'll leave you all with the a peek at the prize pool, since I know that's what really interests you anyway...


· Dana’s Valley by Janette Oke and Laurel Oke Logan

· Enoch by Alton Gansky

· Isolation by Travis Thrasher

· Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix

· True Believer by Nicholas Sparks

· In the Shadow of Lions by Ginger Garrett

· Candy Bombers by Robert Elmer

· A Friend At Midnight by Caroline B. Cooney

· Beyond Reach by Melody Carlson

· Gatekeepers by Robert Liparulo

· The Missing by Thomas Eidson

· Shortcuts by Sigmund Brouwer

· Beyond the Reflection’s Edge by Bryan Davis

8 comments:

Zoe said...

I posted about it. I wish I could do it, but I really can't. :(

StarGazer said...

I have the button on my side bar, but I'll have to catch the next contest. =(

Zoe

MangyCat said...

RE: Adults participating-- My dear Twin, I don't think you realize how much time this is going to take. Most adults who are parents and/or who work just aren't going to have time for something as involved as this. So sorry, my friend!

If you want more participants next time, please make the list simpler. For example, it could simply be to photograph certain objects or events. Bonus points if you do a video with explanations. ;o)

If you do that, you could have 10 required things to do for the scavenger hunt. The items on the list shouldn't require the time it takes for a full blown research paper. It should be challenging but not too terribly time consuming. All ideas as to help get more participants. :o)

~Prism~ said...

I posted about it, and I tried to put in the button, but it didn't work. Should I put it in as a picture or as HTML/Java script?

God Bless,
~Prism~

Live4him said...

You've got a good idea working here but as 'mangycat' said its kinda time consuming and i would love to do something like that but i don't think i have the time =/ maybe have it be simpler or have items like photographs of something sweet, wakie, something that makes you ponder something that the participants may already have or take less time to get.. Just an idea ! =) Keep up the creativeness, i love that about ur blog

gatheringrosebuds said...

I posted the button on my side bar, and I'll post an entry about it as well.

I'm really looked forward to this Twin, thanks for hosting it :) I hope you get more sign ups soon!

~CB <3

FrizzyDragon49 said...

I posted about it and put up the sidebar button. :)

Can't wait for it to start! I hope you can get more participants soon.

Bryce said...

@Zoe- Thanks for posting about it! And I understand! Don't worry about it. :)

@HorseLuver- Thanks so much for putting up the button.

@Mangy- I understand, you're right, it is hard for adults with children and/or jobs to do something like this. I did change a few things though, just to make it easier.

@Live4him- Thanks for the tips! :) Like I said to Mangy, I changed some of the things to make it easier on people.

@ChristsButterfly- Thanks so much! And you're completely welcome. :)

@FrizzyDragon49- Thanks so much!